You are here

Bankruptcy & Credit Reporting

TRANSLATE:   Español   |  Creole

Be advised that bankruptcy filings are public records open to examination by law with few exeptions.  See 11 U.S.C. §107; Fed. R. Bankr. P. 5003, 9037.  The length of time the information remains on your credit report is governed by the Fair Credit Reporting Act and not by Federal Bankruptcy Law. Since the U.S. Bankruptcy Court does not have jurisdiction over credit reporting agencies, the Court cannot remove information from credit reports.  

Additionally, the Bankruptcy Court does not report, furnish, and/or transmit Bankruptcy Court records or other information to the credit reporting agencies. The credit reporting agencies independently obtain Bankruptcy case information from PACER (Public Access to Court Electronic Records). PACER is an electronic public access service that allows registered users to obtain online case and docket information from federal appellate, district, and bankruptcy courts and the PACER Case Locator. PACER is provided by the Federal Judiciary in keeping with its commitment to providing public access to court information through a centralized service.

To view bankruptcy case records, you may visit any of the three Clerk's Offices:


C. Clyde Atkins United States Courthouse
301 North Miami Avenue, Room 150
Miami, Florida 33128


Ft. Lauderdale
United States Courthouse
299 East Broward Blvd., Room 112
Ft. Lauderdale, FL 33301


West Palm Beach
Flagler Waterview Building
1515 North Flagler Drive, Suite 801
West Palm Beach, FL 33401


You may also register for a fee-based PACER account to view court records online by visiting: PACER users may be charged a fee based on the amount and type of information accessed in a calendar quarter (see PACER pricing).  However, if you accrue less than $30.00 in a particular quarter, the fees are waived for that quarter. You may also contact PACER via telephone by calling (800) 676-6856.

Requests for the Clerk’s Office to print any court record, fees for copies and/or certifications must be paid at the time of the request. To view the Clerk’s Summary of Fees, visit

For information on how to dispute data on your credit report, you may visit the Federal Trade Commission’s website ( or contact the FTC toll-free number at (877) FTC-HELP (382-4357).