You are here

Alternate Filing Option for Persons without Attorneys

EFFECTIVE Monday, March 30, 2020


The filing option referenced below MUST ONLY be used by a person who is not represented by a lawyer (self-represented). Additionally, to avoid any delay in the Clerk’s Office receiving your documents via U.S. mail or any other mail delivery service, self-represented individuals are strongly encouraged to use this filing option to file documents that are time-sensitive (for example: deficiency cure documents, appeals, responses, objections, etc.…).

Pursuant to Administrative Order 2021-10 persons not represented by a lawyer will be permitted to file with the Clerk of Court a bankruptcy petition or other documents in a pending case before this Court by sending the petition or documents in PDF format to the Clerk by electronic mail (“electronic transmission”) to the following email address:

  1. DOCUMENTS ELECTRONICALLY SENT shall not be considered “FILED” until the filer receives an electronic reply from the Clerk confirming the filing.  Documents sent after 4:00 p.m. will be stamped "FILED" the next business day.
  1. ELECTRONIC SIGNATURE REQUIRED – any electronic transmission that requires a signature shall either be signed:
    1. with the original handwritten signature of the filer, then scanned and included in the electronic transmission to the Clerk, or
    1. electronically signed using “/s/” followed by the filer’s full name.
  1. ORIGINAL SIGNATURE REQUIRED – The original petition or other original document(s) containing the original wet signature in ink of the filer must be mailed within 14 days from electronic transmission to the Clerk at one of the following divisional offices:
    1. Miami - United States Bankruptcy Court Southern District of Florida, 301 North Miami Avenue, Ste. 150, Miami, FL 33128
    1. Fort Lauderdale - United States Bankruptcy Court Southern District of Florida, 299 East Broward Blvd., Ste. 112, Fort Lauderdale, FL 33301
    1. West Palm Beach - United States Bankruptcy Court Southern District of Florida, 1515 North Flagler Drive, 8th Floor, West Palm Beach, FL 33401
  1. PHOTO ID AND OTHER DOCUMENTS REQUIRED - Only an individual debtor, a person with a power of attorney authorizing that person to file the petition on the debtor’s behalf, or a court-appointed guardian may file a petition with the Clerk’s Office. The debtor (and any person holding power of attorney authorizing that person to file on behalf of the debtor) must include a legible photocopy of a current government-issued photo identification along with the petition.  A person claiming authority through a power of attorney must also include a notarized copy of the power of attorney.  A court-appointed guardian must also include a copy of the court order appointing the guardian.
  1. PAYMENT OF FILING FEE – For any electronic transmission that requires a filing fee, the fee must be sent to the Clerk within 14 days by mailing a certified check or money order (no cash will be accepted by mail), in the exact amount, payable to Clerk, U.S. Court.  Fees may also be paid online by clicking a Pay.Gov link contained in the "Clerk's Confirmation" email to the filer.  The case number must be included on the certified check or money order. If the filer wishes to receive a receipt for the payment, the filer must include a self-addressed stamped envelope along with the payment.
  1. CLERK’S DEFICIENCY NOTICE – The Clerk will issue a deficiency notice listing all missing documents and/or filing fees.  If any of the requirements of Administrative Order 2021-06 or the Clerk’s Filing Instructions are not met by the established deadline(s), the Court, without further notice, may dismiss your case or deny the relief requested.
  1. DEBTOR ELECTRONIC BANKRUPTCY NOTICING (DeBN) – A debtor may request to receive (free of charge) Court notices and orders via email, instead of U.S. mail through the DeBN program.  Debtor must submit Local Form Debtor’s Request to Receive Notices Electronically Under DeBN Program


  1. Self-represented parties should first review the resources available on the Court website for individuals that Don't Have a Lawyer.  Questions regarding filing procedures in any division may contact by phone, the Clerk’s Office Monday-Friday between the hours of 8:30 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.  Miami: (305) 714-1800, Fort Lauderdale: (954) 769-5700, West Palm Beach: (561) 514-4100. Also, questions may be directed to the Clerk of Court by email to:

Filing a [Chapter 7 Case]

Filing a [Chapter 13 Case]